There are many things to consider when planning to launch a business online. One of the first things you should do is to attract organic traffic to your website.
The main job of search engines is to provide us with relevant content. How can you make your site the most pertinent for customer searches?
Search engines use four criteria to determine the most relevant website and which should be ranked more highly in organic search.
When optimizing a site, you must pay attention to these four points. These five tips can help you make your website perfect for search engines and users.
Step 1. Choose the best domain name possible
The domain name will be the first thing visitors see when visiting your website. Focus on these factors when choosing a domain:
- Keywords. Don’t worry too much about adding keywords to your domain. Google’s EMD (Exact Match Domains) update has solved your problem. Keywords in website names are no longer an advantage. So instead of creating a website like cheap-pants-for-sale.com, you can be creative and stick with the name you like, all the better if it has a branding potential. This brings us to our next point.
- Branding. First, websites with simple addresses don’t look suspicious and spammy, unlike keyword-keyword-name.com websites. A good name will help you build credibility, making backlinks more effective. Check if the word still needs to be taken on social media sites like Facebook or Twitter before settling on it. Also, make sure your links are human-friendly; website.com/products/toys is much better than a random selection of symbols.
- Spelling. People who hear of you will find it difficult to locate you if your company name has a long and complicated spelling or pronunciation. This is yet another reason for keeping your name simple.
- .COM Try to secure the.com extension. If it is already taken, consider changing the name of your site. You’ll lose a lot more traffic.
Check the background of the domain you are considering buying. Did Google penalize it for any reason? Remember to see if the field was used to create social media accounts by the previous owner.
Step 2: Use Keyword Research To Study Your Future Audience
Discover the words that your target audience uses to search for products and services you offer. SEO is a lot more effective when keywords are used effectively.
Avoid the following:
- Keywords that are too short or generic, such as car, shoes, or iPhone. These keywords are only suitable for some businesses. The fierce competition in organic search and running PPC campaigns for similar terms will quickly destroy your budget.
- Low-volume keywords are not recommended. Keywords that are too specific, such as cheap parts for the 2005 Honda Civic in Seattle, will not bring traffic to your site.
- Keywords with multiple meanings and irrelevant keywords are those whose central purpose you find outside.